Friday, October 24, 2008

Location and meal schedule for our family reunion

Okay, somebody else besides me better start blogging, or I'll be accused of hogging the blog. Oh, well, it'll be the first time I've ever been accused of trying to communicate too frequently. I'm at school right now on a break between classes and couldn't resist looking up that cute Halloween background Julie put on our blog.

I already posted the proposed dates for our next family reunion (Monday, July 26, at 12:00 p.m. through Thursday, July 29, at 1:00 p.m.), but I didn't state the location. Since we will be going to the Rollo and Hazel Woodward family reunion at Beaver Lodge in Logan Canyon right afterwards, I thought we could all crowd into Papa Ken's house for our Ken and Marva Woodward reunion prior to that like we've done a couple of times previously this year. I asked Papa Ken, and he said that would be okay with him. I thought that one day we could go to a place like Willow Park (it's a big park with a little zoo) for some games and activities, and on another day we could go for a hike in Logan Canyon and/or to Bear Lake. Be thinking of some other activities you would like to do and let me know. I think the talent show is a must.

Here is the schedule of assignments I have come up with for people to be in charge of meals:

Monday, July 26
Breakfast: YOYO (your on your own)
Lunch: Papa Ken
Dinner: Jayne

Tuesday, July 27
Breakfast: Steve Adams
Lunch: Jennifer W.
Dinner: Sharon

Wednesday, July 28
Breakfast: Lary Duque
Lunch: Susie
Dinner: Linda

Thursday, July 29
Breakfast: Rod Burgess
Lunch: Mike

Being in charge of a meal doesn't mean you have to prepare it all yourself--you can ask whomever you want to help you. I imagine most people will ask for help from their immediate families, but those of you with smaller families (like Mike and Susie) should feel free to ask for help from other families. I like Lary's idea of having a cookoff using selections from Mama Marva's favorite recipes for the meals. In the near future I will try to compile a list of suggested menus you can choose from (first response gets first pick). I think Papa Ken's lunch on Monday should be his famous fruit smoothies (he could very well win the cookoff with that one!), and I think Mike's lunch on Thursday should be a make-your-own sandwich bar.

I know the reunion is still over nine months away, but I am trying to turn over a new leaf and prepare for things ahead of time. (Actually, I think it's really because my thoughts are very much turned toward family at this time.) Hope you are all well. More details about the reunion will be forthcoming.

4 comments:

jules said...

im entering in the orange rolls competition!
Bring it on...

Sharon said...

You are awesome! I know some good hikes in the area. The Crimson Trail is pretty and not too long. One place I keep reading about but haven't been to is Tony's Grove. There are some hiking trails there. It's on the way to Bear Lake. Do you know it?

p.s. Maybe I'll make meatloaf because I know it's Annie's favorite. . .!

Lary said...

I am looking forward to the orange rolls competition. This means that someone needs to make a ham that is soaked in apple juice for 24 hours. Never could figure out why Mama Marva did this. Perhaps we should also have a scramble egg competition. I just don't get the fluffy, soft eggs.

Need to make sure there is a fishing tutorial and a filet a trout tutorial.

I'd like to do some Dutch oven cooking. Mama Marva was very intrigued by the process. There is a book in the bathroom by the utility room with lots of great recipes. Meat loaf in a Dutch oven would be great! Mama Marva liked the cobbler I made that I call 'Shari berry cobbler'.

Mama Jayne said...

Go for it, Lary! I'm putting you in charge of the Dutch oven portion of the competition. It sounds great! I guess I'll try to make the apple-juice soaked ham to go along with Julie's orange rolls.