Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Kathryn's first e-mail

Hola Familia!
I don't have much time on email, only thirty minutes, and then the computer logs me out. I wrote a letter in the mail to you last week, I think I sent it on Friday. Hope you got it. If you didn't, I love my district, and I love my companions. My companions are Sister Hardy and Sister Thomas. They're the best! I love them so much.
Sister Hardy and I are so excited today because we finally got permission to move to the advanced Spanish class! We're in the intermediate class right now, and we love our district (which is the same thing as our class), and our elders are the best, and we will miss them so much, but the Spanish class is so boring! We're going out of our minds with boredom. They said Sister Thomas can go to the advanced class too if she wants, but she's not sure she wants to. We will miss her if she doesn't. She would have to be a solo sister, which is a sister assigned to two elders in her district, and she has to go everywhere with them when she's outside her dorm building. Or she can go on splits with any sisters. I'm guessing they only do this at the MTC.
Anyway, for the intermediate class we would have had to stay here for nine weeks, which is the same as the beginning class, which makes no sense. And I would not have been able to call home for Christmas, because I still would have been at the MTC. I knew you would be so disappointed about that, so we've been trying hard to change that pretty much ever since we got here. But now we're only going to be at the MTC for three weeks! So only two more to go! I've never written an email so fast, so I hope everything is coherent.
We went to the Provo Temple today. It was great. Sunday was wonderful, just because it was different. On all days besides Sunday and P day we just go to class and eat. All day. If it weren't for gym we'd probably go crazy. Yesterday my companions and I played frisbee outside. It was so much fun! It's been so beautiful outside!
I got your package today, but I haven't opened it yet. There's no time for anything extra around here, it's hard to even find time to read letters! But send them anyway! :)
Halloween was pretty uneventful. But then that night, as we were walking up to our room, there was all this pink liquid trailed up the stairs. There were also bags marked, "Danger! Infectious waste!" on the floor landings. Then, on the third floor, all the quarantine elders jumped out at us and scared us and took pictures. They thought it was hilarious. They must really be bored, poor things. The floor below us is the quarantine floor. One side is normal flu and the other side is swine flu. Elder Swine Flu, our zone leader, has recovered, so we met him this week. We're in the quarantine building because the MTC is over-capacity right now. The Brazil MTC is only taking half as many missionaries as they used to, for some reason.
Whew! It's exhausting writing this fast! The Lord has blessed me so far. I've woken up on my own every morning before my alarm clock goes off. And I haven't gotten tired until after returning to our room each day. It's been great! I love it here, and I can't wait to get out and start working in California!
Be nice to the cats for me! Love you all!
Con amor,
Hermana Duque

2 comments:

Mama Jayne said...

Thanks, Shari, for posting Kathryn's first e-mail. It sounds like she's having a great experience--very similar to what Tony was doing just a month ago. I thought it was hilarious that she calls her district leader Elder Swine Flu. Maybe you can pass on Tony's tip for writing fast emails--he uses no capitals or punctuation. Tony just reached his two month mark yesterday. He is enjoying working in his little town of Tirol in Argentina, and he says he doesn't feel like a greenie anymore.

jules said...

hilarious. quarantined. elder swine flu. poor bored elders. all hilarious.... i am impressed with your speedy typing skills. cant wait to hear when u arrive in disneyland...!